Saturday, June 5, 2010

Dear Future English 110 Students

Dear Future English 110.01 students,

I took this class as my one of my GEC requirements. Just like any other new classes, I was nervous at first. Honestly, I am not a big fan of writing, especially in English since I am an international student. Sometimes I got the idea but failed to express it in a convinced way and explore it deeper. However, I am so glad to tell you after I took my English 110 this quarter, it seems that I am not afraid of writing class any more!!!

It is a really intersting class if you follow your lecturer step by step and choose a theme you have a great interest on and are able to find countless resources to explore. For instance, my theme is food and foodways. During my English class, we read articles of food history, various foodways, attitude towards food, etc. We listened songs, watched movies, and discussed in groups frequently.

During your lectures, your professor will provide a lot of materials before the class. I strongly suggest you read them and get prepared. Later you may find those materials turn out to be some great source in your paper.I understand it always takes a long time to find satisfactory materials. As a result, one of your lecture is great helpful during which your professor will teach you different ways to help you find your resources. If all don’t work, then talk to your professor. I am sure he or she is always willing to help you.

In addition, like what I said before, it is really crucial to get prepared or schedule it forward. My experience told me that it is better to start your assignment early, maybe leave a week to finish your work. You don’t need to complete all in one day. Sometimes you can separate it in a couple of days. Everyday before you start read what you have done before and see if there is any chance you can improve it. Then, after you are done, you can go the writing center or get peer review to make it better.

What’s more, the class is considered. It develops not only your ability of writing academic papers but also your ability of free public writing. Besides of the analytic research paper, you need to write an essay which is published on Commonplace to all OSU undergrauate students and related to our campus life. From the individual and peer review, it helps you to become a qualified writer.

If you follow the instructions your lecturer teach you and attend class everyday, I can say you are approching A.

So, take a deep breath and love this class, I am sure you will do well.

Good luck!!!

Best Wishes,

Yiwei

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Wordpress Theme by wpthemescreator .
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul .